Cycling Along the Iron Curtain
This route has many quiet sections where you can breathe fresh air, enjoy the varied scenery and view of the soothing forest. Along the way, the sites will reveal the region’s past in the border between East and West. The journey ends in national landscape in Punkaharju, where you can return to Lappeenranta or continue to Savonlinna. You meet hospitable local people. Natural peace and a relaxed lifestyle are the virtue here.
TO BE SEEN
- Lappeenranta city, harbor and Fortress
- Imatra town and rapids and Vuoksi river
- Border Museum and other small museums
- Museum road along Russian border
- Nature spots at Hiitolanjoki river and Siikalahti bird lake
- Charming JaananPiha farm and garden
- A lot of country landscape and beautiful scenery in Punkaharju
- Creepy statue park!
Departure / end
Lappeenranta / Punkaharju (can be done in the opposite direction as well)
Length of the tour/route
6 days (5 nights), total length about 210 km, daily distance 20-50 km
Type of route
A linear trail, you come back to the start by train. Daily cycling to the next accommodation.
Fairly easy terrain, some slopes for variation on the route. Cycling path in towns, small roads in country side. Gravel roads 20-30 km.
Self-guided tour. Exact instructions are given to follow the route at your own pace. Guidance on attractions above is available upon request.
For people who are interested in nature, local culture and the history of the border area, who are keen on exercise to some extent, and who appreciate an unhurried timetable. The recommended group size is 2-4 persons.
From May to September, best are the summer months from June to August. Day of departure is selectable.
See calclulation by group size!
Included in the tour package
- Travel planning, program organization and route directions
- Welcome meeting and telephone support daily 8 am – 8 pm
- Accommodation in B&B and farm houses / granary in countryside
- Breakfast and small packed lunch
- Luggage transfer
- Information on sights and events along the route
- Bike rental (E-bike for extra charge)
Not included in the tour package
- Meals not mentioned in the program
- Personal insurance (recommended)
- Travel tickets to the starting point, tickets to museums or events
Day 1: Lappeenranta Fortress and boat harbor, Saimaa Canal. B&B accommodation.
Day 2: Imatra, Imatra rapids, Vuoksi river and museums in Imatra. B&B / hostel.
Day 3: Border museum, Museum road. B&B.
Day 4: Kollaa museum, Hiitolanjoki recreation area. B&B.
Day 5: Statue park, Siikalahti bird lake. Farmstay at JaananPiha.
Day 6: Punkaharju, Forest museum. Return to Lappeenranta by train.
Activities or guidance can be added to the tour program as desired, for example
- Guided tours in Lappeenranta and Imatra
- Trip to an island and sleeping camp cabin, boat transfer
- Guided excursion to nature trail, lunch at camp fire
- Tour can be started in Imatra – that means 30 km shorter distance
- Extra cycling day to Savonlinna
- Cycling back to Imatra or Lappeenranta is also possible – that means 2-3 days more
- Option to cross border to Russia by bike and visit neighboring town Svetogorsk – note you need to get a visa before hand!
Watch Luis-Fernando's tour video!