DISCOVER ISLANDS IN LAKE SAIMAA
Our Island Hopping holiday gives amazing and varied lake views as well as an insight into the centuries-old culture of the residents of the Saimaa area. When cycling on the islands, you can experience the peacefulness of the countryside and at the Muukonsaari island camp center you can enjoy the tranquility of nature and the pure water of Lake Saimaa. On the way back you return to Imatra, where there are several attractions along the great river Vuoksi, of which the most famous are the immense rapids of Imatra.
To be seen
- Beautiful view of the Saimaa archipelago and boat trip
- Imatra with rapids and Vuoksi river
- Modern "Church of the Three Crosses"
- Ruokolahti church hill
- Stunning natural landscapes on the islands
- Ancient rock painting
- Camp centre on Muukonsaari island
Departure / end
Length of the tour/route
3 days (2 nights), total length about 65 km, daily distances from 15-35 km.
Type of route
A circular trail, you come back to the start. Boat transfer included!
Fairly easy terrain, few slopes for variation. Cycling path from Imatra to Ruokolahti Church, otherwise small roads. Gravel roads about 10 km.
Self-guided tour. Instructions are given to follow the route at your own pace. Guidance on attractions above is available upon request.
For people who are interested in nature and local culture, who are keen on exercise to some extent, and who appreciate an unhurried timetable. The recommended group size is 2-6 persons.
From May to September, best are the summer months from June to August. Day of departure is selectable.
Our prices depend on your group’s size. The price in the tour description is calculated on the basis of a group of 2 persons. When travelling in groups of 3 or 4 persons, the price per person will decrease further.
Included in the tour package
- Travel planning, program organization and route directions
- Welcome meeting and telephone support daily 8 am – 8 pm
- Accommodation in B&B in the countryside and in camp cabin
- 2x sauna in the evenings
- 2x breakfast and lunch/dinner in camp centre on the second day
- Luggage transfer
- 2x boat transfer
- Meals not mentioned in the program
- Personal insurance (recommended)
- Travel tickets to the starting point, tickets to museums or events
- Bike rental
Day 1: 20-30 km
Welcome meeting in Imatra; modern Alvar Aalto Church; Ruokolahti church hill, accommodation in B&B in the country side
Day 2: 15-20 km
Visit of Rock paintings, ferry, boat transfer, accommodation in cabin on an island
Day 3: 20 km
Boat transfer from island to Joutseno boat harbor, cycling back to Imatra
ACTIVITIES OR GUIDANCE CAN BE ADDED TO THE TOUR PROGRAM AT THE REQUEST, FOR EXAMPLE (FOR EXTRA PRICE)
- Guided tours in Imatra and at Ruokolahti church hill
- Guided tour to rock paintings
- Fishing during boat transport
- Extra cycling day (20 km) plus accommodation in Imatra
- A guided cycling tour to Russia - Svetogorsk is only 7 kms from Imatra. Note: You must obtain a visa in advance, which will take you minimum two weeks to get.
Read a review of this holiday in our travelog: Cycling and paddling on Lake Saimaa!